great minds think alike! sort of... I guess... I hope

there is a saying that great minds think alike. It was (almost) exactly what I thought when I came to realize, after strolling down posts of blogs I follow, that my annex parallels in some ways with the comics thesis of my two good friends: Luis Ponce and Jorge Santiago Jr..

What I realized was that the all three of us decided to choose, more or less, horror/supernatural themes for our thesis works (well in my case, my comics is just a mere annex but still! let's forget about that for a minute shall we?) but we choose to highlight different aspects and function of it in our stories:

art (c) Luis 'Lobi' Ponce
So far, Guerra Santa is the only one, out of the presented three, that is finished(as Luis got his degree last academic year). It might feel rushed in some places but it's a great story with great artworks nevertheless. the comics tells a story of young, freshly ordained, exorcist named Luppi. Even thought, he faces horrid evil dwelling within people he exorcise, It's not the only thing that the inexperienced exorcist faces on his quest.

The horror aspects of the story is a setting for Luppi's spiritual journey. Before he is ready to save other people's souls via his exorcisms he's ought to learn more about worth of his own spirit.


art (c) Jorge Santiago Jr.
As far as the inks and the pencils go of Jorge's 'curse of the Eel', the author choose more forward approach of a horror story - a Lovecraftian one, to be exact. What Jorge presented so far looks great - it forces upon a reader a whole range of emotions in just few pages  - anger, fear, darkness even amusement of one of those 'what possibly can go wrong with I sharing a life with a monster?' type of scenarios. But the doubt also starts to surface, as we all know 'everything' will most likely be an answer.
I only hope that the main protagonist will notice that before the price for such life gets too high for her pocket money!



SZAFA(Wardrobe) by [c]
art (c) [c]
as for my annex?
well, the idea for my horror story was to create a tale-like quality of storytelling. I was greatly inspired by common fear of the dark as well as such works like brothers Grimm tales or movie how to train your dragon among other influences.
The story itself is simple: A girl moves to a new flat with her dad. Soon after, she learns that in her wardrobe dwells a monster!
I'm really hyped for this project  - it will be(I hope!) my first 'official', completed, stand alone one-shot ever. so yeah... my expectations are high... too high for my own good.

Comments