A bust of yo head! - A portrait of Jesse Cox

 yes, the title of this work is a play of "A bomb in yo face" which is a catchphrase from Jesse's the witcher 2 'let's play'
(huge wall of text - and some additional pictures - under the cut ) - click read more
I’ve never been a gamer type of a person. Every since I was a kid a thought of possibility of my character dying by my hands was so terrifying I let others play games instead. I just sat next to them and watched how they handled the situation. I especially liked to sit by my cousin, since he not only played the game but also gave me small lectures and various “fun facts” about history of the title he was currently going through.

But I’ve always WANTED to experience those games! Games nowadays are very complicated (not only manually!), spiked with moral choices, heavy themes and ambiguous consequences. To me FPS’ are the hardest games imaginable! So to learn their story I have to rely on others… thus comes my ‘need’ for ‘let’s play’s!

There are two ways of handling ‘let’s play’s – either a gamer does not comment at all and just goes with the flow, or is actively commenting his actions. I don’t mind any of those. Yet I’m more picky about the second option. Maybe it’s because I hate how my own voice sounds (especially recorded), so I just can’t stand when such commentary is done poorly.

I first came across Jesse Cox’s videos through his YouTube Channel at the time when all parts (or most of it? I’m not sure now) of his Jesse becomes a badass in The Witcher 2: Assassins of kings’ were on-line. Every since then, his videos are accompanying me one way or another.

One of the reasons why among dozen of people who make ‘let’s play’s, so far Jesse is my favourite is that he is not a professional gamer (is there even term like that?). It’s a little bit like sitting next to a goofy friend and watch him play (except I can’t literally see the guy) – it’s very similar to all those times I watched others play as a kid. Nostalgia much? Maybe…

The second thing I like about Jesse is that he does not run blindly through the game. Of course his obsession over loot gets a little bit annoying at times, yet thanks to his exploring, side quests are done, homework on lore is done and I’m happy to watch it.

I tried (and still am of course) to watch other people play games. I remember one time I wanted to see playthrough of ‘METRO 2033 (since I am a fan of the ‘METRO 2033’ book, nowadays I’m dying to see METRO: LAST LIGHT! playthrough). I especially wanted to see a Russian-dub with English-sub version of said game. I found only one man playing it in that combination yet he was so annoying that I only saw few of his videos before giving up. And here goes Jesse’s another quality, he’s goofball all right, but, (as far as I know) he’s not a moron.

Ok, sometimes he has this moments of weakness – mostly when addressing to female audience. Yet, I’m accustomed to this douche baggy type of comments. As every person Jesse has his haters, no denying that, but I’ve never seen him ranting about them at his Vlogs (I rarely watch them though, so maybe I overlooked that part). He fixes his attention to his fans rather than be angry at his haters. I respect him for that greatly. And yes, I know that he made that one desperate tumblr note – but we all have worse days.

When I first heard Jesse’s voice, I imagined him to look different… more Toby ‘tobuscus’ Turner -type of guy. But since I was working on his bust, I think I’m more or less over it. Sometimes I made a remark that once I finish this piece, I’d know Jesse’s face better than he was.

Jesse’s voice is not only accompanying me during meals - when I have free time and fork at hand - but also when I have more manual tasks, like school assignments, drawing comics or just doing some minor housework. One of disadvantages is that in some cases I don’t know what is happening in the game because of that. That’s why, recently, I’m slowly replacing his videos with various audio books while working – although I wish Jesse did some of audiobooks in the future! That would be great!

For some time, my ex-roommate associated my laughing to a laptop screen with Jesse’s videos so anytime I did so, she was exclaiming to me stuff like: “don’t tell me you’re watching videos with that American actor again!” then I had to either confirm or deny her statement

1 of 3 sets of reference photos I've been using
At the beginning of my work on this bust, when it was all just a brownish, shapeless mud on a few sticks, lot’s of people were asking me who am I sculpting anyway. At first I just tried to shrug the question off. But since someone commented that “is it a bust of the Pope?!”* I had to deny. “It’s a bust of Jesse Cox”– I answered, since hey! That’s the truth! but that lead to some awkward conversations in which I had to explain how I know an actor who doesn’t really act that much. Right now, if there are still people around me who don’t know whom portrait it is, I have that little speech prepared to sum up everything my peers need to know in just one sentence.

Sometimes I’m asked if it is a commission.

No, it’s not.

I might not be a popular artist (Bah! I do not feel like an artist at all) but even I know how much any form of appreciation means for people – especially when a person him-/her-self (actor, singer, dancer) not his/her work (paintings, comics, sculptures) is the topic of commentary. Since Jesse’s also a comedian, the line between cheerful and mocking laugh of his audience is rather thin in his case.

So let’s say I’m paying a homage (can you pay a homage to a person who’s still alive?) to a guy. And even tho I know he get’s a lot of fan arts, letters, comments and even, freaking, songs (I’m using one of them as my ringtone!) I decided to use my skills and well… simply sculpt the guy.

So I did it, here you have it.

I hope you like it, if not then *pff*… I can’t do much about it anyway.


* there were more comparisons to various other people. My mother said that Jesse looks like a philosopher. One time I was asked: “did he achieve anything?”(as in, is he a researcher? did he get an award?) Others, when I told them Jesse is an actor, asked me excitedly: “did I see him in any movie?!” to which I had politely specify that “he is a voice actor” and so on. Most people were all like: “I don’t know him” to which I patted their shoulder and replied “It’s all right. I would be very surprised if you did”



On a side note: My sculpture teacher, told me that Jesse has a kind of a Roman nose (yet he referred to those flat noses which are almost at the same line with one’s forehead, which could be found at ancient painting/vases/etc rather than an ‘Aquiline nose’) wide cheekbones and an “inverted egg-shaped” forehead. Wait! what?!

Comments